Jewish Genealogical Society of Georgia at The Breman
The PURPOSE of the Jewish Genealogical Society of Georgia is to preserve and disseminate Jewish genealogical knowledge and information.
GOALS of the Society include:
- Promoting an awareness among the Jewish community of the possibility of tracing their ancestors;
- Fostering an ongoing interest in our heritage;
- Encouraging genealogical research;
- Providing instruction on genealogical methodology and standards of accuracy;
- Fostering the preservation of Jewish genealogical records and resources; and
- Maintaining and improving a library of genealogical resources.
RESEARCH SESSIONS are generally held monthly, offering an opportunity to learn how to trace your family's history for both the family historian and serious genealogist.
AN INTERNATIONAL seminar, sponsored by the International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies (IAJGS), is held every summer. The seminar features special programs, genealogical authorities, additional research opportunities, and the sharing of knowledge in a broader setting.
BREMAN MEMBERS WITH AN INTEREST are entitled to:
- Monthly meetings giving members an opportunity to share information and learn from others about their genealogical research. Admission is free to all members except for special events.
- Our online newsletter, JGSGNET, with informative articles and updates of happenings of Jewish genealogical interest
- Monthly research session notices via JGSGNET
- Exchange of information with others interested in Jewish genealogical research
- Advice and consultations by local experts who can help you in your research
- Access to the JGSG library of research materials, which is part of the Ida Pearle and Joseph Cuba Archives and Genealogy Center
- Notice of all National and International Conferences on Jewish genealogy, and other events.
Jewish Deaths and Burials
The Jewish Cemetery Project is Georgia's contribution to an international project to index and computerize all Jewish burials. Death and burial records for Jewish burial grounds throughout Georgia are maintained by Ruth Einstein, who may be reached with any questions by
e-mail or by phone at 678-222-3732.